commons-dev mailing list archives

From Hank Grabowski <h...@applieddefense.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Github vs. ASF Repo vs. Rest of World (Non Apache Github Users)
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:16:49 GMT
The nice thing about Github, from my perspective as a person with only
read-only access to the ASF repositories, is that it provides me with the
ability to work in my own fork and then initiate pull requests that can be
incorporated into the root repository.  I think it is still ideal that the
GitHub repository be synchronized with the ASF git repository and that the
ASF git repository be considered the "gold" copy of all things Apache.  The
good news is that because this is git and not SVN, all changes from across
all the users in both GitHub land and direct ASF contributors will always
exist in everyone's repository, because of the nature of how git keeps
track of changes.  We essentially all have a full copy of the repository
that can be used as a master to clone from if it ever came to it.