commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JCS] release?
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:21:51 GMT
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Thomas Vandahl <tv@apache.org> wrote:

> On 15.10.14 19:55, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > I propose that we use commons-jcs2 instead of commons-jcs, which what
> we've
> > done with other components like commons-math3, commons-lang4, and
> > commons-collection4.
>
> -1
>
> JCS has not been released from Commons yet. The latest release was from
> Jakarta. We don't have commons-lang2 for example.

The above makes no sense (to me.)

There was no commons-lang2 because (hopefully) version 2 did _not_ break BC
with version 1. commons-lang3 is named so because it did break BC with
version 2.

Using commons-jcs2 says that it is not compatible with whatever came before
it.

Using commons-jcs2 follows the convention currently established with the
pattern commons-math3, commons-lang4, and commons-collection4. Yes it's
true that we did not have a commons-jcs but that is besides the point (IMO).

I can't imagine that this is something we have to put to a VOTE...

Gary