commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Thread-safety and initialization overhead in distribution sample() methods
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 17:40:00 GMT
On 10/8/14 10:32 AM, Gilles wrote:
>> > [...]
>
> What do you think of the solution proposed in
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1158
> ?
>
> [No hidden RNG, no default RNG, no hidden performance
> cost or delayed initialization, similar API, ...]

That is basically going back to not having sampling in the
distribution classes.   I would rather just proceed as Luc suggests,
just changing behavior to no longer support sampling unless a
Generator has been supplied directly by the user.  I would like to
ask that we try to focus on stabilizing the API rather than
continuing the cycle of move / deprecate.

Phil