commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pool] time to cut 2.3
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:46:01 GMT
Hi and thanks for chiming in.

The best path is to use Jira so we can all look and discuss.

Gary

-------- Original message --------
From: Jacopo Cappellato
Date:09/27/2014 12:36 (GMT-05:00)
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [pool] time to cut 2.3

Hi Gary, all,

I am sorry if I jump in in this conversation: I am a committer of another ASF project (I am
actually the PMC chairman for Apache OFBiz) and my project is using dbcp2/pool2, so thank
you for all the work you did and are doing.
I am reviewing the code in DefaultPooledObject and Gary is definitely right: the code is not
thread safe; well, actually there is other code in the class that is not thread safe: the
"state" field is properly accessed in a thread safe way but all the other fields are not.
It is not enough to set them volatile because the class has some invariants that include more
than one field.
Gary has mentioned one but for example also getLastUsedTime() doesn't seem thread safe.
As a side note, I also see room for a couple of minor code simplifications. Would you like
me to send you a patch with some possible improvements?

Regards,

Jacopo