commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Side effect of LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2014 16:06:18 GMT
On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 11:50:43 -0400, Evan Ward wrote:
> I was suggesting (though not clearly :) keeping the
> MultivariateJacobianFunction interface as is and adding a new
> interface
> for any post processing of the evaluated point.

Isn't it rather pre-processing (the point is changed before
evaluation)?

> Something like:
>
> interface StepFinalizer {
>
>   RealVector apply(RealVector point);
>
> }
>
> Then we would add another getter/setter to LeastSquaresProblem for an
> instance StepFinalizer.
>
> As I think more about it, I think this interface could also be used
> satisfy another feature request we've had in the past: recording the
> trajectory that the optimizer takes. In this case the step finalizer
> would have a side effect of adding the point to a list for later
> retrieval. What do you think?

In that latter case, it would not be clear (IMHO) which point was used
by
the optimizer and which should recorded in the list...  I'd keep the
issue
separate and use an informative name for the new "validating"
interface.
[Even if it could indeed be diverted to allow tracking, but this was
already the case with the "ConvergenceChecker".]

Best,
Gilles

>>> [...]