commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [discuss] Vote to git it?
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:21:28 GMT
On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:55:52 +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> Le 10/09/2014 11:43, Gilles a écrit :
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 07:49:13 +0300, Silviu Burcea wrote:
>>> This is the killer feature for Git, because many of us, the
>>> newcomers,
>>> like
>>> me, will want to experiment a little before submitting a patch.
>>> This
>>> way, I
>>> can create a local branch and I'm free to do whatever I want. The
>>> SVN
>>> branch is visible on the server, I don't want to publish my crappy
>>> code
>>> before I feel that the feature or the bugfix has high quality and
>>> is
>>> readable enough.
>>
>> This use case does not convince me at all: when working on a
>> feature,
>> you always do it locally (modifying code, preparing unit tests), and
>> SVN certainly does not force you to experiment publicly; it's rather
>> the project's policy that forbids you to commit crappy code. :-)
>>
>> [The advantages of "git" must be somewhere else.]
>
> The advantages are that while doing so you do use git and all its
> features (you do local commits, you do diffs between several things
> you
> try at home, you do branches, you do forward your changes between
> several clones you may have (typically a laptop and a desktop
> computer,
> or a computer at work and another at home). With SVN, you only have
> the
> workspace, you cannot do local commits. Either your modifications are
> on
> the single workspace you have, or you commit them to the central
> server.
> This means that if you want to test several different approaches with
> SVN, you end up doing copies of your workspace, which is a pity since
> you do have a version control system.

You do not have to convince me that "git" can do more than
"subversion".
I am convinced; I've always been.[1] But that's not the same as feeling
that a Commons project should absolutely use it.
The "crappy code" argument is not the same as those which you
presented.
I would not mix "efficiency" arguments with principles.

Best,
Gilles

[1] So, let's tackle the next release of Commons Math, with "git",
rather
     than continue a hazy discussion for the non-initiated. ;-)