commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [discuss] Vote to git it?
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2014 19:02:49 GMT

On 09.09.2014 19:56, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 09/09/2014 15:17, sebb a écrit :
>> On 9 September 2014 14:10, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Should we vote to move Commons to git one component at a time (as Math just
>>> has), or just vote to move them all at once and be done with it and the
>>> inevitable?
>>
>> I think it is far too early to decide.
>> Math has yet to start using git in earnest.
>
> I agree with this.
>
> I think I am fairly at ease with git by now (having used it for about 3
> years I think), but I also remember there are a lot of things to learn.
> So the [math] experiment is worth doing and we can try to iron a few
> things for the other components. One specific task will probably be
> challenging: doing a release. There are some magics with subversion done
> by maven in our components and we need the same kind of magic with git.
> Once we have done that and documented what we have done, it will
> probably be time to discuss about other components switching or not.

+1

Our decision was to use [math] as a test balloon, so let's be consequent
and wait for first results.

I also understand that Gary wants to push things forward. So maybe we
can agree on a kind of time frame? Is there a release pending for
[math]? Or can you estimate how long you need to come to a decision?

Oliver