commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Auto generating README.md and CONTRIBUTING.md for github using the commons build plugin
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 04:03:27 GMT
On 2014-08-20, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

>>> I've committed a new mojo to the commons build plugin, which generates a
>>> README.md file for a component [1].

>> Without looking at the code, do you plan to make it so that projects can
>> override the default README.md with a template of their own - much like
>> we currently allow for the download page?  I can see myself wanting to
>> put more information there than the description from the POM at one
>> point in time.

> That is possible? Didn't know that until now :o)

I think so, yes.  May be wrong.  Please note this is not a showstopper,
though.  Having those pages and generating them is a good idea.

> Anyway, the idea was to put only the most essential information into
> README.md and point people to the project's website, since I don't think we
> should duplicate the information from the website in README.md...

I agree with that.  What I have in mind right now is telling people
which branch does what in case a project has multiple branches that may
be under development as branches are way more visible at github.  Like
"master is for the current Foo 3.x releases while foo-2.x is for
the maintenance of the legacy 2.x releases.  foo-1.x is no longer under
active development.".

Stefan