commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JCS] Rework logging
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:10:08 GMT
On 20 Aug 2014, at 19:35, Thomas Vandahl wrote:

> On 20.08.14 15:37, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why not use Commons Logging, can redirect logging to other
>>> frameworks if
>>> needed?
>>>

>> I'd like to think that Commons Logging has been deprecated by Log4j 2
>> can
>> do the same thing (in principle) AND provide it's own advanced
>> logging
>> framework.
>>

> Gary, you are PMC chair of which PMC again? Commons-logging 1.2 has
> been
> released just in July.

With all due respect, this didn't take the label "deprecated" from
commons-logging.

Maybe a few exceptions (as Tomcat as I heard) use commons-logging,
but this doesn't make a difference. commons-logging lacks of a modern
api
and with all talks I gave on the logging subject nobody was interested
in it.

commons-logging is just bug fix release, and any new feature would be a
surprise:
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-logging/changes-report.html

For me there are no clear reasons why anybody should use commons-logging
and I was pretty much surprised that somebody was willing to cut a
bugfix release.

Sorry, but this lib is doomed.

Cheers,
Christian