commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Migrate Commons Math to Git
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:50:27 GMT
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:25:43 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 7/22/14, 3:05 PM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:01:44 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>> Looks like other projects are running VOTEs to ensure there is
>>> consensus for this action and including references to VOTE threads
>>> in INFRA JIRAs.  Lets do this.  The action I am proposing is that
>>> we
>>> request a new ASF git repo, make the current svn repo read-only
>>> (adding a README to make it clear) and change github mirroring to
>>> use the git repo.   Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72
>>> hours.  Note that this VOTE applies only to [math], i.e.
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 go for it
>>> [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>> [ ] -0  Not happy about this, because...
>>   [X] -1 We should not do this if that means that I have to know how
>>          to use "git" within the next 72 hours.
>>
>> Please clarify the migration planning, including the necessary
>> transition
>> for complete newbies (e.g. a summary of how to perform the
>> equivalent of
>> such basic tasks as "svn co", "svn add", svn del", "svn commit",
>> "svn diff").
>
> What timeframe would you suggest?  The idea is those of us - myself
> among them - with limited git experience will have to learn.  I
> don't think there is a reasonable way to have both svn and git
> working, so whatever timeframe we choose, we need to decide to JFDI
> at some point.   Whenever we decide we are ready to fire the INFRA
> JIRA, the new git repo will get set up and the existing svn repo
> will become RO.  The "migration" is just copying stuff and
> repointing git mirrors.  There are lots of git tutorials available
> and I am sure the experienced git users in the [math] community will
> help others along.  I am certainly counting on that ;)
>
> The same thing happened, btw, way back when we migrated from cvs to
> svn.  And we had about the same level of immediately available
> expertise on "the new thing."  I am fine delaying if you or anyone
> else needs more time to learn git.  On the other hand, there is no
> better way to learn a new tool than to start using it and just like
> we do with the code itself, I am confident that we can count on our
> friends to point out and fix the little mistakes we make as we learn.

The post by Benedikt (about "several possible ways to develop with
git")
seems to indicate that there is more to the move than just doing it.
Because I don't know git yet, I certainly cannot choose what would be
my
preferred way at this point (if that were the next vote).

The timeframe I imagined is that the newbies could get some help
_before_
the official move, in order to set up and try the new tools.
As I said previously, I certainly do not oppose to using git; but I
don't
think that pushing people into the water before asking whether they can
swim is the correct way to go.

Regards,
Gilles