commons-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] git
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:46:12 GMT
> From the looks of [1] and the repo list at [2] it looks like all we
> have to do to get started is open an infra JIRA and there should not
> be a problem starting with [math] by itself.  Other commons
> components can follow as and when they feel like it.  I am not a
> very experienced git user / admin, but I think some of us are
> (right, Luc?)  Any objections to opening the infra ticket to get
> this moving?

I think someone has to remove svn keywords from the source files. They
make no sense if source code is stored in Git.

E.g. the following file [1] uses $Id$, $Revision$ and $Date$.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/math/trunk/build.xml?view=markup

> Other commons
> components can follow as and when they feel like it.

I do not have objection for math,  but I think that it would be some
problem if any of {BCEL, codec, DBCP2, fileupload, pool2}  were
converted to Git, as Apache Tomcat borrows code from those projects
using svn merges to keep up with the changes. [2]  It is not a show
stopper, but just some nuisance that I do not yet know how to deal
with.

[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/SVN-MERGE.txt?view=markup

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko