commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Supported Java versions (Was: svn commit: r1604172 - ...)
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 14:57:41 GMT
On 20 Jun 2014 16:37, "Gilles" <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 16:18:08 +0200, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
>>
>> Java 5 is already eol. Anybody still using it is certainly in maintenance
>> mode thus adding now a feature that is available in java 6 does not make
>> any sense.
>

> This a strong statement in a forum where it has _always_ been
> indicated that no post-Java-5 feature could be used.

These two are completely different things.

Not using more recent java features was done in order to still support
users that are stuck with java 5 but want/have to use commons.

Duplicating java 6 features in 2014 is pointless. What is the expected
userbase of this feature? New users will certainly have adopted more recent
versions of java and anybody still using java 5 and having a need for this
will hopefully have implemented it already in his own codebase.

> The right question, to be asked again (in case the answer will be
> different from all the other times) is: Is Commons Math still to
> support Java 5 ?
>
> If not, to which version do we switch to?  6, 7, 8?

Thats another question to be asked, but orthogonal to the above.