commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CODEC] Beider Morse Phonetic Matching Bug and questions
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:56:15 GMT
Hi,

as already commented on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-187 the
problem is related to some wrongly ported rule files from the original
source.

This otoh, creates a serious problem for us, as it looks like that the
Beider-Morse phonetic matching encoder in commons-codec is derived work
from a php codebase released under the GPLv3 licence.
The original codebase is available at http://stevemorse.org/phoneticinfo.htm.
While investigating the bug and comparing our rule file with the ones from
the origina codebase it is quite clear that at least these are identical.

The author of the patch (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CODEC-125)
ported the code and applied the Apache license, but the license of the
original codebase was never considered or discussed.

This is quite serious I guess, as we have already released the code. We can
ask the original authors to re-license their code to the Apache Software
Foundation under a compatible license, but I wonder if they are willing to
do so.
This encoder is also used a lot in lucene/solr so it might have even larger
implications.

Any ideas how to proceed or if a re-licensing would be sufficient in this
case?

Thomas