commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject [weaver] site updates
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 23:31:10 GMT
See inline:

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yeah, well, multi-module sites is not something easy to get right in Maven
> IMO. This site in an example because it seems to have three levels and it
> is hard to navigate.
>
> When I look at the page:
>
> https://people.apache.org/~mbenson/commons-weaver-1.1-rc1/index.html
>
> how do I find the modules? I have to scan the text, which is OK since I am
> reading it. But this could be better.
>
> We say:
>
> "Apache Commons Weaver consists of:
>
>    - Core Framework
>    - Weaver Modules
>    - Maven Plugin
>    - Antlib"
>
> But these should be links!

Done; these are now links to anchors at the relevant parts of the index
page, which contain links elsewhere.

> Links in the menu would be good.

When you are in a module, a link back to the main site would be good as
> well.

This already existed in the upper right banner. I played a bit with Maven
site breadcrumbs to try and repeat it but I haven't had any luck.

> It is hard to navigate the site, here is the worst example:
>
> You start at the main page:
>
> https://people.apache.org/~mbenson/commons-weaver-1.1-rc1/index.html
>
> where you read:
>
> "Weaver Modules
> A number of Weaver Modules
> <https://people.apache.org/%7Embenson/commons-weaver-1.1-rc1/commons-weaver-modules-parent/index.html>
> are provided by the Commons Weaver project."
>
> So I click on Weaver Modules
> <https://people.apache.org/%7Embenson/commons-weaver-1.1-rc1/commons-weaver-modules-parent/index.html>
> which takes me to:
>

> https://people.apache.org/~mbenson/commons-weaver-1.1-rc1/commons-weaver-modules-parent/index.html
> The page has ONE sentence that says:
>
> "his is the parent Apache Maven module for the weaver modules provided
> with Apache Commons Weaver. See Modules
> <https://people.apache.org/%7Embenson/commons-weaver-1.1-rc1/commons-weaver-modules-parent/modules.html>
> ."
>
> Then when you go to the Modules
> <https://people.apache.org/%7Embenson/commons-weaver-1.1-rc1/commons-weaver-modules-parent/modules.html>
> page, you get a table with links to 6 other modules.
>
> This is all hard to navigate and confusing IMO.
>
> Why not give the whole structure of what is available on the main page?

I had hoped to avoid the need for future manual upkeep in the event that
we, e.g., add another module.

> I would also expect the LHS menu to have a tree for all these links.

I have added an additional "Project Structure" LHS menu that explicitly
points to the individual weaver modules that currently exist. I would still
kind of like to avoid locking the site into the necessity for future
lockstep updates of both site.xml AND index.md in the event a new weaver
module is added.

WDYT?

Matt