commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Math 3.3 based on RC2
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 21:07:02 GMT
On Thu, 01 May 2014 18:15:39 +0200, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to call a vote to release Commons Math 3.3 based on RC2.
>
> Changes since RC1:
>
>  * completed changelog
>  * fixed MATH-1110
>  * added exclusion filter for findbugs false-positive
>  * disabled 2 tests that failed with Java 8
>  * javadoc fixes for Java 8 (incomplete, see below)
>
> Note:
>
> Commons Math 3.3 does compile with Java 8, but creating the site will
> not work due to some incompatibilities:
>
>  * javadoc: known doclint issue
>  * findbugs: not ready for java 8
>

>  Math 3.3 RC2 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/
>     (svn revision 5215)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1026/org/apache/commons/commons-math3/3.3/
>
>  Details of changes since 3.2 are in the release notes:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/math/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/tags/MATH_3_3_RC2
>     (svn revision 1591699)
>
>  Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/
>   (note the apidocs for the 3.3 release will be added with the
> release)
>
>  Clirr Report (compared to 3.2):
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/clirr-report.html
>    (note that there are 4 false positives where the signature of a
> method has changed such that the parameter type is now the superclass
> of
> the previous type)
>
>  RAT Report:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/rat-report.html
>
>  Findbugs Report:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/math/3.3/RC2/findbugs.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
> Please review the release candidate and vote.
> This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after
> 1800
> GMT 04-May 2014.
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [X] -1 I oppose this release because...

... some commits were performed solely to support Java 8. Since it did
not
suffice and the changes are not without drawbacks IMHO, I think that
they
should be reverted.

Thanks for identifying the problem we'll encounter when transitioning
Java 8.
I think that a discussion is required to consider the possible
workarounds.
At this point, we should just advertize that CM is not
source-compatible
with Java 8, open an issue in order to collect all the related
problems,
and explore how to best solve them (by asking everyone's opinions).

Sorry,
Gilles