commons-dev mailing list archives

From Schalk Cronjé <ysb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] support JCIFS
Date Tue, 27 May 2014 13:32:40 GMT
Would it be a better solution to rather create a CIFS provider outside
of apache-commons (and outside of ASF), which then needs to be
downloaded separately?

The VFS website can have a list of known external providers.

This will remove the onus from commons developers to maintain the CIFS
code and leave no dilemma.

On 24/05/2014 16:19, sebb wrote:
> On 23 May 2014 17:59, Dan Tran <dantran@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think we just need to promote vfs-cifs and mark jcifs optional. That
>> complies with Apache's policy
> ASF policy requires that downstream consumers should not be forced to
> use non-compatible depenendencies.
> Such dependencies are allowed if the product is still usable without.
>
> ASF policy does not allow us to bundle such a dependency with VFS.
> The ASF policy of "no surprises" means that non-compatible
> dependencies must not be automatically downloaded either.
> The consumer must be made aware that the dependency is not available
> under the ALv2.
>
> I suspect it will be necessary to use something other than 'optional'
> to achieve that - for example 'provided'.
>
>> -D
>>

>> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Moved.
>>>
>>> Gary

<
>>> sebbaz@gmail.com> </div><div>Date:05/23/2014  10:27  (GMT-05:00)

>>> This is really a conversation for the dev list ...

Sandhya
>>> [vfs] support JCIFS </div><div>
Can I

>>> http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>