commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Apache Commons & ApacheCon Europe 2014
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2014 15:48:15 GMT
Hi all,

Sorry for chiming in this late but I definitely think it would be cool, and very
useful, to organize a dedicated Commons track at the ApacheCon, and promote this
project as a whole.

Siegfried and I discussed this a bit in Denver, and I also talked about it with
Rich Bowen if a special Commons track would be feasible for the next ApacheCon.
Rich said he definitely liked the idea and if we come up with a good proposal it
has much chance of being accepted.

I think there is plenty of activity here in several Commons components to talk
about. Not all might need a separate full track: combining 2 or 3 smaller
presentations into one full track slot IMO should be feasible AND actually more
interesting for the audience.
And if we can come up with some 5, 6 or even more of such short tracks, we can
combine them together into a proper Apache Commons track.

I think it is important to note that, at least IMO, such presentations not
necessarily need to cover a formal released component version, but very well may
(also or alone) present the current state of development, roadmap plans, etc.
The goal and purpose of such presentations need not just be 'tutorial' or
'explanatory' style, but also can (and should!) target community building and
giving potential users some ideas what is or might be in stock in the future.

Anyone seriously scratching an itch here at Commons IMO might have something
useful to talk about, and hopefully also is interested in talking about it with
interested peers and community members!

Now, if the upcoming ApacheCon at Budapest in November is feasible for you all
or not, I cannot say. Even I cannot make a promise for that already this early.

But it would be great to hear who *might* be interested in participating in such
a Apache Commons track, about what topic/component you'd like to talk about, etc.
Just to determine if this might be a feasible setup, already next ApacheCon or
maybe sometimes later.

I definitely would like to present again on the SCXML component, its possible
2.0 release by that time, and/or give an overview of its current status and
roadmap like I did in Denver.
Doing so in only 15-20 min. would be fine to me, especially if its part of a
larger Commons track.

So, who else here is potentially interested in doing something similar?

Thanks,

Ate

On 18-04-14 20:47, Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> so judging from the conversation we have volunteers for Apache Commons VFS :-)
>
> Reclaiming the message thread - who else would like to present his/her pet component?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>

> On 17 Apr 2014, at 17:28, Schalk Cronjé <ysb33r@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/04/2014 23:45, Mark Fortner wrote:
>>> Schalk,
>>> It's my understanding that new providers in NIO2 are simply added using the
>>> ServiceLoader.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Mark
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Maybe I should have explained better,
>>
>> In Apache VFS one can either add custom providers via a META-INF/vfs-providers.xml
file (behaviour of StandardFileSystemManager). This means just compiling a JAR accordingly
and have it available on the classpath. Let's call this Approach A.

>> Alternatively one can call addProvider (on DefaultFileSystemManager) directly. This
is quite useful in certain circumstances to do this programmatically. This is Approach B.

>> With NIO2 loading occurs by providing a META-INF/services/java.nio.file.spi.FileSystemProvider
file and ServiceLoader should take care of it. This is effectively the NIO2 way of Approach
A.

>> What I am saying is that I would like to have an Approach B for NIO2 as well, except
that I have seen no clear way of accomplishing it. It could just be a lack of knowledge on
my side.