commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Subject [CODEC] char[] decoding base64 variant
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 18:05:31 GMT
Hello,

with great delight I have seen that Java8 Base64 (JEP135) decoder
offers a method for decoding with String argument, but it does not
funtion as a Writer().

There is a quite common case that you want to decode base64 encoded
data in char[] chunks. With a OutputStream implementation one would
need to convert them to byte[] and with a decode(String) method one
would have to produce strings. It would be good if I could directly
have a "Writer Base64DecodeWriter(OutputStream)".

What do you think, is that a good addition to commons codec?

Bernd