commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proxy] toward a v2.0 release
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2014 14:13:31 GMT
On 27 March 2014 13:16, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 2014 6:43 AM, "sebb" <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 27 March 2014 04:29, Matt Benson <mbenson@apache.org> wrote:
>> > This is the notice that I intend to serve as release manager and begin
>> > cutting release candidates in the very near future after a very small
>> > amount of remaining cleanup. Those of you who wish to formulate and
> express
>> > opinions on the state of the codebase before the v2 API is set in stone
>> > should probably go ahead and begin doing so.
>>
>> I took a quick look, and Eclipse complains that the interface
>> implementations are not flagged with @Override, even though the
>> compiler is set to 1.6.
>> Is that intentional? [Obviously does not affect the API]
>
> Not intentional; thanks for spotting and addressing. We should potentially
> add these items to one of our static code checker configurations.

Well, I've fixed the Java 5 ones so far; I can fix the Java 6 ones soon.

>> Also, I spotted at least one instance of
>>
>> @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
>>
>> with no explanation as to why it is safe to ignore the warning.
>>
>> Since such warnings can indicate a generics issue which may be tricky
>> to fix later I think they need to be addressed before fixing the API.
>>

> If you see it again, let me know and/or add a TODO in the code.

There are quite a lot; none are commented in-line.
So rather than me adding TODO it's probably quicker to search for

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")

>> My other main concern regarding API petrification is mutable public or
>> protected variables.
>> Not yet scanned to see if there are any of these.
>
> Again, if these can be caught by a tool, let's set it up.

I don't have a working tool; at present I just look for ^package and
visually scan the Outline in Eclipse.
Rather tedious!

> The current configs are minimal.

Yes, I noticed only the following mutable fields

SingletonProvider.instance
ProviderDecorator.inner
TrainingContext.TrainingContextFrame.matcher