commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [beanutils2] Future plans, how to contribute?
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 15:58:09 GMT
Hello André,

nice that you're interested in BU2, welcome to this list.

> Hi,
>
> I stumbled upon the BeanUtils2 project which looks quite interessing to me.
> Do you have any future plans? (When) Will it replace the BeanUtils
> component?

We don't have a fixed development schedule. We're all working on projects
in our free time, so we release stuff, when "it's done". WRT BeanUtils2, we
currently have a stable state in trunk, which implements a subset of the
functionality provided by BeanUtils. BeanUtils2 should have all
capabilities of BeanUtils before it can be released as a replacement. I've
fought about releasing trunk as 0.1, but I feared the binary compatibility
discussions that this approach would lead to :-)

So hear are the things that would have to go into BU2 before it can be
released as a replacement for BeanUtils:

- evaluation of property paths: BeanUtils.setProperty(myBean,
"adress.street", "5th Ave");
- Conversation between data types
- The caching has to be reworked, because it relies on static fields that
always cause trouble in multi class loader environments
- possibilities to configure custom BeanUtils instances

> I'm highly interested in contributing to this project. Please let me know,
> if you plan to continue work on that project and how I might help you.

I'm working mainly on [lang], but I can review patches. Patches are
contributed through our JIRA. Just open an issue and attach a svn diff file
to it. Please make sure that you have filed an ICLA [1]. You should also
read the material on our websites [2,3,4].

If you really want to join development of BU2, I'd recommend that you have
a look at trunk and play around with it a bit. Is there something you can
improve? Are there test cases missing? This are always good exercises for
getting started.

After that we should discuss the topics I've mentioned above.

HTH,
Benedikt

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/
[2] http://commons.apache.org/volunteering.html