commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject [compress] problems with 7z BCJ methods
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:23:05 GMT
Hi,

I've managed to implement the major BCJ filters for 7z (special filters
for native executables) by simply invoking the XZ for Java
implementations for it.  This is needed for  COMPRESS-257.

Unfortunately there is a bug in XZ for Java that has already been fixed
in git.  When using a released version of XZ together wirh Compress
1.8-SNAPSHOT you'll be greeted with an AssertionError thrown from inside
XZ as soon as you try to read an archive that uses BCJ.

I see two options and I'm not quite sure which is better from a user's
POV:

* document the problem in XZ so people know they'll need to upgrade XZ
  once it becomes available - and deal with recurring questions about
  AssertionErrors

* back out the BCJ code and re-introduce it once XZ has seen a new
  release - this way users get a "method not supported" error rather
  than some strange AssertionError

Stefan