commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc <...@spaceroots.org>
Subject [math] refactoring least squares
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:05:58 GMT
Hi all,

I am looking more precisely at the least squares package and have a few
adjustments to propose.

The Evaluation interface declares a computeValue and a computeJacobian
method among others.
However, it seems the implementations are really simply built with the
precomputed values and
just return them. The other compute methods (for covariances for
instance) do really compute
something based on the stored Jacobian or value.

Wouldn't it be more clear to use "getValue" and "getJacobian" for these
two methods and keep
"compute" for the other ones?

Another point is binding value and Jacobian together in a single object.
I personally think it
is a good thing, but if I remember well, some users explicitly asked for
separating them to save
some computation. I'm not sure about this, though, so I would like to
have some advices.

Last point is OptimizationProblem. Should this interface been in fitting
or in a more general
package, and in this case which one (optim, util)?

best regards,
Luc