commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Annotations
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 04:01:53 GMT
On 2/10/14, 5:14 PM, sebb wrote:
> The advantage of annotations over Javadoc is that the meaning of each
> annotation is precisely defined.
>
> Javadoc is mainly written in natural language.
> This much harder to pin down precisely (and harder to parse), unless
> one defines a convention for how to express the various
> characteristics of the code that one wishes to document. In which case
> one might as well use the appropriate annotation.

Ugh.  Shades of the early Wittgenstein.  Sorry, could not resist that ;)

Seriously, I see the fact that it is written is natural language as
an *advantage* of javadoc.  Having API documentation deteriorate
into a sequence of tags with externally defined "meanings" is not
appealing to me as either a contributor or a user.  I know there may
be a happy medium to be found and I will not stand in the way here.

Phil