commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LANG] New class called StringAlgorithms?
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:31:38 GMT
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:11 AM, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:

> > A concrete use case could be a query engine which allows customizing its
> > string matching algorithm.
> >

> Is this really a use case? It sounds very constructed to me. Have you ever
> thought "I'd like to query on google, but I'd like suggestions to be
> matched using Levenshtein Distance algorithm"?

This is definitely a use case.

Furthermore, Levenshtein distance is often parametrized with edit costs and
possible an edit cost matrix.  Tuning a system for best accuracy by
injecting alternative distance functions is a common activity whether in a
spelling suggestion system or DNA alignment program.