commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject [lang] RuntimeException types
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:37:44 GMT
How do we feel about changing the type of a thrown RTE?  Specifically, we
have agreed to standardize on the idea that Validate.notNull() throws
NullPointerException, but the recently added
FieldUtils#removeFinalModifier() method validates the incoming field
parameter with Validate.isTrue(field != null), throwing
IllegalArgumentException.  I prefer the simplicity of Validate.notNull()
but changing this now would mean that consumers of the method who are
conceivably now catching IllegalArgumentException would now fail to catch
the thrown NPE.

Thoughts?

Matt