commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Suggestion to refactor BinomialConfidenceInterval
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2014 17:46:36 GMT
On 1/12/14, 6:03 AM, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we had some preliminary discussion about changing the
> BinominalConfidenceInterval class in MATH-1086.
>
> Right now the class provides some non-static methods to create various
> ConfidenceIntervals, and I was proposing to change them to be static.
>
> Another option would be to allow sub-classing by defining an interface
> (or abstract base class) to create such an interval:
>
> public interface BinomialConfidenceInterval {
>    ConfidenceInterval createInterval(int numberOfTrials,
>                                      int numberOfSuccesses,
>                                      double confidenceLevel);
> }
>
> With subclasses for the individual methods, e.g. Wilson or
> NormalApproximation.

I am +1 for this.  Calling conversion of current methods to static
0) and above 1), seems to me there are two other reasonable options:
2) do nothing - leaving the methods non-static preserves extensibility
3) use an abstract class instead of interface - I think we may be
getting carried away with preference for this approach and I think
it would be silly in this case

So my preference order is 1), 0), 2), 3).  I guess TestUtils is OK
as the home for the static convenience methods in cases 1), 2), 3).

Phil