commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] Suggestion to refactor BinomialConfidenceInterval
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:03:29 GMT
Hi,

we had some preliminary discussion about changing the
BinominalConfidenceInterval class in MATH-1086.

Right now the class provides some non-static methods to create various
ConfidenceIntervals, and I was proposing to change them to be static.

Another option would be to allow sub-classing by defining an interface
(or abstract base class) to create such an interval:

public interface BinomialConfidenceInterval {
   ConfidenceInterval createInterval(int numberOfTrials,
                                     int numberOfSuccesses,
                                     double confidenceLevel);
}

With subclasses for the individual methods, e.g. Wilson or
NormalApproximation.

Phil suggested that we should still create static methods to create them
easily, e.g. in TestUtils.

Thomas