commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject [LANG] Document API breakage in FastDateFormat in JavaDoc?
Date Tue, 24 Dec 2013 08:51:51 GMT
Hi,

we have this API breakage in FastDateFormat between 3.1 and the upcoming
3.2 release [1]. Gary suggested to make this explicit in the JavaDoc of
FastDateFormat [2].

I personally don't like this idea for the following reasons:
- JavaDoc is about the functionality of a class. It is no migration guide.
- The information already is in two places: RELEASE_NOTES and Clirr
- In this special case it is very unlikely that users will even notice this
breakage.

I like to hear other opinions on this before I cut the next release.

Regards,
Benedikt

[1]
http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-lang3/3.2-RC1/site/clirr-report.html