commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] Stack Overflow are offering free open source adverts - should we partake?
Date Fri, 06 Dec 2013 12:35:43 GMT
Hi.

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:26:57 +0000, Duncan Jones wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Stack Overflow allows open source projects to create a free advert to
> encourage participation in their project.

This is certainly worth exploring.

> The rules are clearly
> explained in the following post:
>
> http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/210389/open-source-advertising-sidebar-1h-2014.
>
> In summary, we create a 220x250 image that encourages participation
> in
> Apache Commons. We then post it as an answer to that thread and it
> will be served up automatically to Stack Overflow users (provided we
> receive enough up-votes).
>
> I'm happy to do this on behalf of Apache Commons, but I wanted
> feedback on:
>
>  - Whether we want to do this?
>  - Is there someone more talented who can do the image work?
>
> Last time this advertising spree was organised
>
> (http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/195823/open-source-advertising-sidebar-2h-2013)
> there were only 8 participants. We should get in on this.

Another way to make the projects more visible is to edit Wikipedia
entries
that refer to implementations in various programming languages of the
concept
explained in the article.
[I mentioned this some time ago, but there were zero comment about
usefulness or
feasibility (I don't know how easy it is to become a Wikipedia
editor).]

Regards,
Gilles