commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] src/userguide/java
Date Sun, 29 Dec 2013 21:08:21 GMT
On 12/29/13, 12:38 PM, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On 12/29/2013 06:22 PM, Gilles wrote:

>>> Hi Gilles,
>>>
>>> if you use eclipse with the m2eclipse plugin you can have separate
>>> projects for commons-math3 and the examples. Otherwise you would need to
>>> install the artifacts of commons-math3 into your local repository with
>>> mvn install.
>> Since all the source code being available in a sibling directory, it
>> seems that it should be possible to twist the build file so it can find
>> any requirement there.
>>
>>> To compile the examples as part of the normal build process we would
>>> need to create a parent pom for commons math3 with packaging type pom.
>> Being a very basic maven user, I cannot follow this.
>>
>> What I had in mind in something similar to the "tools" JAR being built
>> with selected classes from the "test" repository (search for the string
>> "commons-math3-tools" in the CM's "pom.xml"). [By the way, I've just
>> noticed the following line there:
>>   <attribute name="Extension-Name" value="org.apache.commons.net" />
>> and the reference to "commons.net" seems to be bug...]
>>
>> Then, using the generated JAR, one should be able to run any of the
>> "main" methods in the included class files.
> The reason why I created a separate directory with a separate pom.xml
> was to be able to include various dependencies, like xchart or others as
> needed.
>
> Of course, we could add them with scope "test" to the main pom of CM and
> move the userguide directory to the test folder and create a -examples
> jar similar to the -tools jar.
>
> This was something I had in mind first, but there was not really a
> consensus and I wanted to move on with this stuff.
>
> So I am open to make this part of CM more accessible, for now it mainly
> serves myself as testbed for small little demos / screenshots for the
> userguide.

Personally, I like the current modular setup.  The main pom is
already ugly.  Its easy to build the examples separately and having
a separate source tree and simple pom including [math] jar
dependency makes things a little easier for users to get set up and
understand the code.  I agree it would be good to regularly build
the examples and any tests they eventually include though.  Probably
best to just do that now and then and add it as a pre-release check.

Phil