commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] src/userguide/java
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:54:59 GMT

> On Dec 31, 2013, at 4:34 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 13:33:23 -0800, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>> On 12/29/13, 6:39 AM, Gilles wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Is there some framework in place in order to generate executable
>>> files
>>> from the Java sources located there?
>>> I guess that a configuration snippet could be added in the
>>> "pom.xml"[1]
>>> so that one of the build phases can also compile (and perhaps also
>>> run)
>>> the example applications.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Gilles
>>>
>>> [1] I tried to use the "pom.xml" located in "src/userguide" but it
>>> "failed
>>>    to resolve artefact"
>>> org.apache.commons:commons-math3:jar:3.3-SNAPSHOT.
>>
>> You need to install the [math] snapshot locally for maven to be able
>> to resolve it.  Run "mvn install" to get a current snapshot
>> installed locally.
>
> OK. That's easy enough for me at the moment.
> [I just wanted to check that what I put under "src/userguide/java"
> does compile and run.]
> However, I wonder why it is deemed better to have another "pom.xml"
> rather than have the main one generate the "examples" JAR.

Why exactly would one want to generate the "examples" jar?  I get the use case for us of wanting
to make sure they build, but for people wanting to use them as reference it would seem a self-contained
build might be a little easier to work with.  Setting it up the way it is now also makes it
easy to test against prior releases. Also, the self contained build is faster.

Phil