commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Commons Collections 4.0 based on RC3
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2013 23:13:02 GMT
Hi Thomas,

I've downloaded the source tar.gz and tested it with my compiler zoo.

1/ IBM JDK 1.5 fails with compilation error (without telling where or why).
2/ Sun JDK 1.5 compiles and runs tests fine, using these class files to run
the tests:
2.1/ IBM JDK 1.6 runs tests with 5 failures / 15 errors
2.2/ IBM JDK 1.7 runs tests successful
2.3/ IcedTea 6 / OpenJDK runs tests successful
2.4/ IcedTea 7 / OpenJDK runs tests successful
2.5/ Oracle JDK 1.7 runs tests successful
2.6/ Oracle JDK 1.8 (b109) runs tests successful
2.7/ Sun JDK 1.6 runs tests successful
3/ IBM JDK 1.6 compiles and runs tests with 5 failures / 15 errors
4/ IBM JDK 1.7 compiles and runs tests successful
5/ IcedTea 6 compiles and runs tests successful
6/ IcedTea 7 compiles and runs tests successful
7/ Sun JDK 1.6 compiles and runs tests successful
8/ Oracle JDK 1.7 compiles and runs tests successful
9/ Oracle JDK 1.8 (b109) fails to compile:
======================= %< =========================
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-
plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) on project commons-collections4:
Compilation failure: Compilation failure:
[ERROR] /home/joehni/tmp/download/commons-collections4-4.0-
src/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/collections4/map/MultiValueMap.java:
[211,14] remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
org.apache.commons.collections4.map.MultiValueMap cannot implement
remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map
[ERROR] return type V is not compatible with boolean
[ERROR] /home/joehni/tmp/download/commons-collections4-4.0-
src/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/collections4/MultiMap.java:[64,14] name
clash: remove(K,V) in org.apache.commons.collections4.MultiMap and
remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map have the same
erasure, yet neither overrides the other
[ERROR] /home/joehni/tmp/download/commons-collections4-4.0-
src/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/collections4/map/MultiKeyMap.java:
[199,14] remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in
org.apache.commons.collections4.map.MultiKeyMap cannot implement
remove(java.lang.Object,java.lang.Object) in java.util.Map
[ERROR] return type V is not compatible with boolean

Actually I don't know, if the older IBM compilers simply have problems with
generics or if J8 is representative here - at least it runs.

Cheers,
Jörg

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-118/org/apache/commons/commons-collections4/4.0/

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/collections/tags/COLLECTIONS_4_0_RC3/