commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Snapshot vs. release sites.
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 12:24:54 GMT
On 7 November 2013 17:45, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/13 10:11 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> I find it unhelpful and confusing at times to see Commons sites for
>>> -SNAPSHOT version.
>>>
>>> I'd prefer to be able to browse a whole site for any released version. This
>>> is especially handy when I want to find information for some older version
>>> I must work with through an inherited dependency.
>>>
>> The tail is wagging the dog (ie: Maven is leading us astray).

This is nothing to do with Maven per se.
It's just a question of what source is used to build the website.

>> The notion of a website having a version is absurd :)  [other than its own
>> svn/git versioning]

> +1 - I tend to agree with the site == head approach that we have
> pretty much always taken.  I like the Tomcat approach of making
> versioned site content available for past releases, but that is a
> pain to maintain and I am loathe to ask more from Commons RMs atm or
> to clutter svn with ever more little maven-generated files.  For
> most Commons components, there is not much beyond the javadoc
> anyway, which in most cases is already published for old releases.

Forget about Commons for a moment.

Consider Maven Plugin websites.

Would they be useful if they only showed the documentation for the
unreleased head version of the plugin?

No, of course not; it's essential the the user can readily find
documentation for the current release.
It would be nice if docs were also available for selected earlier
releases as well, but that is a separate issue.