commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Snapshot vs. release sites.
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 01:00:22 GMT
On 6 November 2013 15:53, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I find it unhelpful and confusing at times to see Commons sites for
> -SNAPSHOT version.

+1, it's annoying and unhelpful to have the main site refer to a
version that has not been released.

> I'd prefer to be able to browse a whole site for any released version. This
> is especially handy when I want to find information for some older version
> I must work with through an inherited dependency.
>
> If I want to see reports on code coverage for older versions, for example,
> I have to download and build. Old sites are also handy when they provide
> browsable code and test code, useful when you are on your phone/tablet.
>
> The confusion is worse when an a major release is upcoming and the snapshot
> site is up instead of the previous maintenance release. There is usually no
> way to tell what information is valid for previous releases instead of the
> current release.
>
> If I am lucky the site has a Javadoc link to the released version. Some
> sites helpfully provide links to more than one Javadoc releases.
>
> Just like we sometimes have links to previous Javadocs, I'd like to see
> somewhere in the menu, a choice of versions to take me to older released
> version of Commons sites.
>
> Thoughts?

It depends a bit on the component whether older versions of the sites
are useful.

Older versions of sites are sometimes not very accurate; just as there
are bugs in code, the documentation has bugs as well.

The code cross-reference and Javadoc might be sufficient in many cases.