commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] StatUtils and varargs
Date Sun, 24 Nov 2013 07:31:49 GMT
On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are there any objections to changing the API sigs from foo(double[] values)
>> to foo(double... values) ?
>
> Yes.  I am -0 for adding new methods that take varargs;  -1 for
> removing the double[] versions.

Phil note that foo(double... values) actually has the same signature,
foo(double[]), in the byte code. This would not amount to adding or
removing methods, or even a signature change.

The downside is the inconsistency between declaring both
foo(double...) and foo(double[], int, int) although you could argue
that in the latter case, you're definitely meaning to operate on an
array and that's why it's different.