commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Controlled and and assisted switch to "Git"
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:44:27 GMT
Le 27/11/2013 12:13, Gilles a écrit :

> I'm only a bit worried about the timing, and whether knowledgeable
> people will be willing to detail the move and explain what to do to
> so that the total ignorant can indeed continue contributing "à la svn"[1]
> until he finds the time to study the more advanced features.

If you don't apply a fancy branch model Git can be used just like Subversion

Checkout:

   git clone <url>

Commit all changes:

   git commit -a
   git push

Update from the repository:

   git pull

The one thing Git doesn't do as well as Subversion is merging the local
changes with the remote changes when updating the local copy. He will
refuse to update the local copy if there are conflicting changes. In
this case you either have to commit your local modifications, or stash
them before updating. You can then resolve the conflicts as usual.

   git stash
   git pull
   git stash pop

This is enough to get started. You can then learn gradually how to play
with branches, tags, remotes.

http://git-scm.com/book

Emmanuel Bourg