commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Commons Collections 4.0 based on RC5
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2013 15:54:45 GMT
On 11/23/2013 04:29 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de
>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> Am 23.11.2013 15:56, schrieb Gary Gregory:
>>> For those of you with +1's: Did you test the SVN tag or the src zip? Did
>>> you see the same RAT issue I did?
>>> Thank you,
>>> Gary
>>
>> yes, I saw two unknown licenses in the RAT report. I was testing on
>> windows. Maybe this depends on the platform?
>>
>> Anyway, this is certainly not a blocker.
>>

> Agreed, but rather odd that two files stand out where others with the same
> extension in the same folder do not raise a flag. I just wonder if this is
> symptomatic of something else.

It looks like an encoding problem with the binary guess of rat.
I downloaded the rat distribution and did run the following test:

System.setProperty("file.encoding", "Windows-1252");
assertTrue(BinaryGuesser.isBinary(new FileDocument(new
File("obj/NullComparator.version4.obj1"))));

fails for this encoding, but succeeds for other encodings.

The reason why all the other files work is due to the way rat detects
binary files:

 * first check the filename for known binary extensions
 * inspect the content (I think the first 200 bytes)

These files are called .obj1 and .obj2, all the others are called .obj,
so they are immediately detected as binary without inspecting their content.

Thomas