commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Snapshot vs. release sites.
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:34:40 GMT
On 11/06/2013 04:53 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I find it unhelpful and confusing at times to see Commons sites for
> -SNAPSHOT version.
>
> I'd prefer to be able to browse a whole site for any released version. This
> is especially handy when I want to find information for some older version
> I must work with through an inherited dependency.
>
> If I want to see reports on code coverage for older versions, for example,
> I have to download and build. Old sites are also handy when they provide
> browsable code and test code, useful when you are on your phone/tablet.
>
> The confusion is worse when an a major release is upcoming and the snapshot
> site is up instead of the previous maintenance release. There is usually no
> way to tell what information is valid for previous releases instead of the
> current release.
>
> If I am lucky the site has a Javadoc link to the released version. Some
> sites helpfully provide links to more than one Javadoc releases.
>
> Just like we sometimes have links to previous Javadocs, I'd like to see
> somewhere in the menu, a choice of versions to take me to older released
> version of Commons sites.
>
> Thoughts?

I like having snapshot versions as published site for the following reasons:

 * able to update / correct the site during releases -> faster
 * giving users quick feedback what is going on in trunk (changelog /
   javadoc)

Prior to 1.1.2, commons-logging had also old released versions published
on the site, but it was quite a mess, as the links were mostly broken
and the navigation gets completely messed up once you browse to an old
release.

I think with our current site publishing tools this can only be done if
we do something similar as with the old javadocs versions, but I
question if it makes sense to look at old sites, the should be outdated
anyway.

Thomas