commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@scalaris.com>
Subject Re: [math] Add Pair factory method, toString(), Comparator
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:43:47 GMT
Hi Gilles,

Gilles wrote:

> Hi.
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I had originally used .of() for consistency with Commons Lang (is
>> that
>> persuasive?) [...]
>
> This poses a question as to whether we want to include features
> that are not currently intended for strictly internal purposes.
> The intention was certainly not to duplicate what's in Lang.
>
> See also comments on this on the bug-tracker:
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1041

Actually the first time I recognized the create was looking at the commit
message, then I found the JIRA issue and after commenting there I saw this
thread ;-)

With my comment I just wanted to point your attention to the fact that the
naming might surprise users of both libraries. It's up to the active math
committers to make up their minds.

Regarding the nodeps policy: It's an old discussion, that has possibly new
aspects with the current Maven ecosystem. OTOH libraries like lang start to
get fat and that might be another reason, why such casual dependencies are
avoided.

- Jörg