commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Mission Statement for Commons...
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 20:53:22 GMT

> On Oct 6, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 6, 2013, at 12:00 PM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>>
>> The fact that it has taken so long before we got something out for
>> Collections 4.x is just an embarrassment.  How long has Java had
>> generics?  What could be causing us to be so slow to get releases out?
>
> I may be in the minority here, but I think the real problem is too many components for
too few "committed committers". The release process has always been a little bit of a pain
in the butt, but I've never felt blocked by it.  What has taken so long on pool/DBCP is that
it is just Mark and I really digging into the code and we are both busy with other stuff /
have limited time to work on it. Like some other components, the code is also kind of specialized
and the documentation is not the best, making it harder for others to get involved. Collections
went nowhere for a couple of years because no one stepped up to drive it.  Thankfully Thomas
did recently and we got a 4.0 beta.  The best thing anyone can do to get a real 4.0 out is
start actually coding on it.

> I honestly think we are making excuses in this thread - the real problem is dwindling
component communities.  We need to decide which ones to ale dormant and make it easier for
people to get involved in the active ones.

S/ale/make (love that iPhone :)