commons-dev mailing list archives

From James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1528612 - /commons/sandbox/monitoring/trunk/reporting/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/monitoring/reporting/web/plugin/PluginRepository.java
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 22:23:34 GMT
On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 6:11 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Back to the case in point: why is the string ".activate" and not anything else?

Why not just extract a constant and name it something logical like
"ACTIVATED_INDICATOR"?  Then, the actual value of the constant can be
whatever you want.  The value of the string isn't important (other
than making it a bit more human-readable of course).  What is
important is that you use the string in a consistent fashion
throughout your code.  By not using a constant, it makes it more
likely to fat-finger the value when you type it again somewhere.
Anyway, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new.  I just don't think
it's relevant to go into a lengthy discussion about the string that's
used as some sort of marker.  Just extract the constant (and use it)
and move on.