commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CHALLENGE] Move All of Commons to the Dormant
Date Sat, 19 Oct 2013 14:25:44 GMT
On 18 Oct 2013, at 9:24, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> On 17 Oct 2013, at 18:12, Paul Benedict wrote:
>>
>>> I am glad to hear being "dormant" is not the same thing as being in
>>> the
>>> "attic"
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because "attic" means more or less that we not even intend to work on
> this
> component anymore. E.g. we decided that we will not put any further
> effort
> into oro, because it has been outdated by the JDK.

Being in the attic is NOT a permanent thing. Get active developers,
leave the attic. If a project doesn't make any sense, stay in the attic.
We are having an attic but called it "dormant".

>> Unmaintained projects are a potential risk for our users. With having
>> dormant
>> state we replicate the attic. I don't see a difference between a
>> dormant
>> component and one in the attic - except that the term "attic" is more
>> established (as in foundation wide)
>> as the term "dormant".
>
> It simply means that no one is currently actively working on it, but
> it
> tells you nothing about its maturity or feature completeness. However,
> if we
> get a security report on one of this components, I am quite sure that
> we
> will react with a new release in time.

Given that normal releases will take a long time at Commons I doubt.
There is a security issue for this dormant components JavaDoc:
http://commons.apache.org/dormant/clazz/apidocs/index.html

Nobody reacted (includes me).

> And any (Apache) committer with interest can revive development quite
> immediately. It might be more
> difficult for users, but if one has interest and starts to bring
> reasonable
> patches, we were always quite lenient with committer status. I doubt,
> that
> we would see here any development for collections 4.x, if we had moved
> it
> into "attic". Especially because the term "attic" and its meaning is
> more
> established.

Attic components can be revived similar quickly. Nobody said we need to
delete any reference
from our webpages and prevent any collaboration with others.

Cheers
Christian

>> That said, I will not fight for removing the dormant-term. If you all
>> like it keep it.
>
> - Jörg

---
http://www.grobmeier.de