commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <benerit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1528612 - /commons/sandbox/monitoring/trunk/reporting/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/monitoring/reporting/web/plugin/PluginRepository.java
Date Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:03:06 GMT
Hi James,

Send from my mobile device

> Am 05.10.2013 um 00:33 schrieb James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com>:
>
> Also, since when did we start nit-picking code in the sandbox?  Why
> not leave these folks alone and let them work out their ideas?  The
> sandbox should be an area where folks can play around with stuff and
> share new ideas without being hassled by folks.  If we make it a pain
> in the butt, then people will just go elsewhere with their cool ideas.
> It's one thing if you're collaborating on the project, but trolling
> commit logs and picking out things you don't like is just plain rude,
> IMHO.

I'm not sure I agree with all of your points. Yes, the sandbox is a place to try new ideas
out. Does this mean certain quality criterions do not apply? I don't think so. This all has
to be corrected before promotion, so why not make it correct right from the start?

Is pointing out that something may be improved nit-picking? Well, I think it depends :-) Just
sending a -1 for a commit like this would definitely be. In this case an improvement has been
pointed out. I'm more then happy for feedback like this, because it helps me become a better
developer. And in the end, discussing commits is part of the game ;-)

Regards,
Benedikt