commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Mission Statement for Commons...
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 21:05:00 GMT

> On Oct 6, 2013, at 1:51 PM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> So, would you say we have a problem attracting new committers or are
> our current committers just losing interest (or a combination of
> both)?

I think it's both, but the first is natural / will always be happening.  It's the second that
we should focus on  IMO - getting new people involved and progressing to become committers.
 Fattening up the subcommunities by existing committers agreeing to focus on a smaller number
of components might help if that is possible. And being more open to Christian's points on
new approaches / major branches.

Phil

>> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 6, 2013, at 12:00 PM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com>
wrote:

>>> The fact that it has taken so long before we got something out for
>>> Collections 4.x is just an embarrassment.  How long has Java had
>>> generics?  What could be causing us to be so slow to get releases out?
>>
>> I may be in the minority here, but I think the real problem is too many components
for too few "committed committers". The release process has always been a little bit of a
pain in the butt, but I've never felt blocked by it.  What has taken so long on pool/DBCP
is that it is just Mark and I really digging into the code and we are both busy with other
stuff / have limited time to work on it. Like some other components, the code is also kind
of specialized and the documentation is not the best, making it harder for others to get involved.
Collections went nowhere for a couple of years because no one stepped up to drive it.  Thankfully
Thomas did recently and we got a 4.0 beta.  The best thing anyone can do to get a real 4.0
out is start actually coding on it.

>> I honestly think we are making excuses in this thread - the real problem is dwindling
component communities.  We need to decide which ones to ale dormant and make it easier for
people to get involved in the active ones.

 How