commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CHALLENGE] Move All of Commons to the Dormant
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 06:15:05 GMT
On 10/14/13 10:59 PM, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Le 15 oct. 2013 à 07:33, Dave Brosius <dbrosius@apache.org> a écrit :
>> I couldn't disagree more. Dormant/attic means the project has leprosy. I don't know
the answer to this, but wondering, has there ever been a commit to an attic'ed project? I
personally would never think of doing that.
> As probably the only person that "supports"' Jelly, a dormant to be for sure, I find
the word leprosy outrageous.

> I am happy to stay on list, I even read posts regularly, but I cannot find time or motivation
to fix bugs or do new releases. I respond to any Jelly question I find.

> Jelly has gone 1.0 and is in use here and there.
> I would expect users to be interested to make it advance to come to jira and suggest
fixes; I am happy to negotiate them and apply them, and maybe, if things get excited, there
might be a release one day.

> However, moving it to a place where you would never commit would sign its death.

The proposal is not to move it anywhere, just designate it as
dormant so people know no one is currently working on it.  Honestly,
it is basically *acknowledging* its currently dead state.  If you
intend to work on it, you can commit to the svn file hen posted top
of this thread.  If you disagree with the whole idea of designating
things as dormant, you can state that here.  I don't get the
awfulness of saying something is dormant.  Says nothing about the
quality or usefulness or whether someone might pick it up later -
just nobody is working on it now.

Phil

> Paul
>
> PS: there's a zillion software units not in active development running in your own computer
and they do their job.
> PPS: is this thread the thread I should find instructions with to make sure Jelly is
not retired? That's not what I have seen but I fear having missed something.