commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Allow unstable 0.x OR -Milestone releases [Was: [DISCUSS] Putting several unmaintained components to dormant]
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 08:43:11 GMT
On 10/10/2013 03:31 PM, James Carman wrote:
> We definitely need to make sure our naming scheme will work with maven
> properly.  Hopefully commons-foo:1.0 would supercede
> commons-foo:1.0-M1.  Again, I really don't care what we call it, as
> long as we manage expectations and don't dork up maven.

Since Maven 3+ there is now a reasonable and predictable handling of such
versioning, including doing 'the right thing' for the commons-foo:1.0-M1 example.

See [1] (which is an old wiki proposal which since has been implemented) and [2]
for the exact rules, which I'm copying below for convenience.

 From [2]:

   Features:

   - mixing of '-' (dash) and '.' (dot) separators,
   - transition between characters and digits also constitutes a separator:
1.0alpha1 => [1, 0, alpha, 1]
   - unlimited number of version components,
   - version components in the text can be digits or strings,
   - strings are checked for well-known qualifiers and the qualifier ordering is
used for version ordering. Well-known qualifiers (case insensitive) are:
       - snapshot
       - alpha or a
       - beta or b
       - milestone or m
       - rc or cr
       - (the empty string) or ga or final
       - sp
     Unknown qualifiers are considered after known qualifiers, with lexical
order (always case insensitive),
   - a dash usually precedes a qualifier, and is always less important than
something preceded with a dot.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD/Versioning
[2]
http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.4/maven-artifact/apidocs/org/apache/maven/artifact/versioning/ComparableVersion.html