commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] API compatibility policy
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 08:55:13 GMT
Le 07/10/2013 20:14, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :

> - loosen API compatibility policy?

This topic alone deserves its own thread I think.

Ensuring binary/source compatibility is very important. This is an area
where Guava is clearly not a good example, they deprecate and remove
stuff frequently. Every time I update the Debian package for Guava I
know this will break reverse dependencies, I have to fix it and convince
the upstream projects to upgrade as well. On the other hand updating a
Commons component is just a breeze.

That being said, I think we are too strict on the compatibility rules.
Some incompatible changes are much less risky than others. For example,
adding a new method in an interface released less than 6 months ago
shouldn't be vetoed, but renaming public methods in a code that has been
in the wild for years shouldn't happen.

Emmanuel Bourg