commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Brosius <dbros...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Mission Statement for Commons...
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 21:24:34 GMT
Phil,

You definitely have a point, but nothing helps build a development
community than seeing releases go out.

"I want to be part of that"

If there's no idea if or even when another version of a library will go
out, especially one that's hasn't released in a while, it deflates
possible joiners.

Even if we *just* released generized versions of the existing versions
and nothing else, that would be really helpful, i think, in pulling in
more help.

--dave

On 10/06/2013 04:53 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>> On Oct 6, 2013, at 1:46 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 6, 2013, at 12:00 PM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com>
wrote:

>>> The fact that it has taken so long before we got something out for
>>> Collections 4.x is just an embarrassment.  How long has Java had
>>> generics?  What could be causing us to be so slow to get releases out?
>> I may be in the minority here, but I think the real problem is too many components
for too few "committed committers". The release process has always been a little bit of a
pain in the butt, but I've never felt blocked by it.  What has taken so long on pool/DBCP
is that it is just Mark and I really digging into the code and we are both busy with other
stuff / have limited time to work on it. Like some other components, the code is also kind
of specialized and the documentation is not the best, making it harder for others to get involved.
Collections went nowhere for a couple of years because no one stepped up to drive it.  Thankfully
Thomas did recently and we got a 4.0 beta.  The best thing anyone can do to get a real 4.0
out is start actually coding on it.

>> I honestly think we are making excuses in this thread - the real problem is dwindling
component communities.  We need to decide which ones to ale dormant and make it easier for
people to get involved in the active ones.
> S/ale/make (love that iPhone :)

 How