commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] "due-to" attribute in "changes.xml"
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:58:04 GMT
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:30:16 -0400, Ted Dunning wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Gilles
> <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>wrote:
>

>>> The person who raised the bug still took the trouble to do so.
>>>

>> My question is still: is it sufficient?
>> Without filing a bug report, the reporter is harming himself.
>>
>> Also, some reports are only feature requests. I deem it quite unfair
>> that
>> the release notes would contain lines such as
>>  * MATH-123456789: Algorithm Xxx implemented. Thanks to <reporter>.
>

> How is it controversial to say thank you for contributions?  The
> report is
> a contribution and being nice could encourage more contributions.

How is it that you, more often than not, attempt to reverse the meaning
of
what is being said?

Could you please report instances where I would not have said "Thank
you"
to a contributor?

> Being all officious about what suffices to be worthy enough to make
> the oh
> so mighty gatekeepers be generous is a great way to turn people off.

Here no one should need to be generous or not. The release notes are an
unfair report of the contributions if some names appear there while
others
do not. It's a fact, no more no less.
Who gives and who receives?
If _you_ do not want to be fair, then just say it; do not try to imply
anything about me. Please.

Gilles

P.S. I've seen people here that produced reports from SVN, from JIRA,
etc.
      If we want to reward every contribution, we can do so in reports
that
      will properly attribute everything. The release notes are not the
place
      for that.