commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Fluent API, inheritance and immutability
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:27:34 GMT
Hi.

Sorry but the _main_ question of my previous post was...

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:35:51 -0400, Evan Ward wrote:
> On 08/26/2013 03:33 PM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:59:32 -0400, Evan Ward wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I rearranged the least squares package and I've posted the
>>> results.[1]
>>> I've also created a pull request[2] and an associated issue.[3]
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/wardev/commons-math/tree/sepOpt
>>> [2] https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/1
>>> [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-1026
>>>
>>> A summary of what I changed: (See the git log for more details.)
>>
>> Thanks for the effort!
>> Could you attach a patch to the issue page?
>> Hmm, actually, there would be so many changes that I don't think
>> it's
>> really useful to have a patch.
>> Wouldn't it be clearer to create entirely new classes for
>> everything,
>> in a new package? [Suggestions for a name?]

... here.

>> [Then we can do a "manual" diff for selected files to see how things
>> have evolved.]
>
> It is a bit much to view all at once. :) I tried to provide detailed
> commit messages and the diffs between commits should be more
> meaningful
> after the first one.

As far as I'm concerned, I already agreed to a design change, so I
don't
need to look at what it looks like, so to speak.
However, before I commit anything I want to be able to ensure that
indeed
_everything_ was translated to the new API, without additions or
removals.
This I can do if I can run the tests in parallel ("current" and "new"
design); if I apply the diff, it will obviously destroy the "current"
code!

> [...]

Regards,
Gilles